ABB Inc (www.abb.com), Zurich, Switzerland
ABB is a leader in power and automation technologies that enable utility and industry customers to improve performance while lowering environmental impact. ABB group companies operate in around 100 countries and employ around 115 000 people.
- Orkas developed a checklist for internal audits of business area units.
Active Power Inc (www.activepower.com), Austin, Texas
Active Power has carefully developed its business to become the leader of battery-free uninterrupted power solutions to meet the global demand for critical back-up power. The company was founded in 1996. Active Power’s patented flywheel technology is the world’s first commercially viable mechanical “battery”. In November 2016 the company was acquired by Piller Power Systems Inc.
- Dr Almgren served on the Board of Directors 2004 – 2016.
Angstrom Power Inc (www.angstrompower.com), North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Angstrom Power is developing a unique Micro Hydrogen ™ technology, which can provide high energy density and fast “recharge” capability, as well as environmental benefits compared to the incumbent battery technologies. The company was acquired by BIC Group in December 2011.
- Dr. Almgren was on a transitional basis CEO of the company 2005 to June 2006.
Awesense Inc.(www.awesense.com), Vancouver, Canada
Awesense provides an end-to-end solution to help increase efficiency, reduce unidentified losses and stop electricity theft in the distribution grid.
- Dr. Almgren served on Awesense Board of Directors 2014-2017.
CTC Global Inc. (www.ctcglobal.com), Irvine, California
CTC Global Inc, a privately held company, is developer and manufacturer of composite carbon core for high performance transmission wires.
- Dr. Almgren serves as a senior advisor to the company.
Current Technologies, LLC (www.currenttechnologies.com), Germantown, Maryland
Current Technologies is a privately held company that is focused on building and delivering innovative broadband power line communication (PLC) equipment and networks based on its own proprietary technology.
- Dr. Almgren served on Current Technologies Advisory Board 2003 – 2006.
Ensyn Corporation (www.ensyn.com), Wilmington, Delaware
Ensyn has two primary business objectives: to develop industrial applications for its core technology, rapid Thermal Processing or (RTP™), and to exploit these applications in the biomass sector.
- Dr. Almgren served as a Director on the Board of Ensyn Corp 2006 – 2007.
HOT/SHOT Radar Inspections, LLC (www.hotshotradar.com), Lakewood, Colorado
HOT/SHOT is a privately held company, which owns and develops a patented, advanced radar imaging technology. The company’s innovative technology enables an accurate, non-destructive and cost effective determination of failure-related anomalies in wood pole structures.
- Dr. Almgren served on HOT/SHOT’s Advisory Board 2003-2006.
Hydro Quebec IndusTech (www.hqindustech.com), Montreal, Canada
Hydro Quebec IndusTech is a wholly owned subsidiary of Hydro-Quebec established in 2001 with the mission to pursue the industrialization and marketing of technologies resulting from Hydro-Québec research activities, in partnership with the private sector. The management team of Hydro-Québec IndusTech is manadated to manage the portfolio and business affairs of Hydro-Québec IndusTech, whose portfolio companies include Avestor, TM4 and PSVE (Propulsion Systems for Electric Vehicles.
- Orkas developed a market analysis and plan of a new product technology.
Industrial Climate Solutions Inc. (www.icsolutions.work) Calgary, Canada
Industrial Climate Solutions (ICS) develops and commercializes industrial breakthrough technologies to address greenhouse gas emissions. On February 1 2022 the company was acquired by Baker Hughes.
- Dr. Almgren has served as an advisor to the company since 2018.
Infinia Corporation. (www.infinia.com),Kennewick, Washington Infinia is a privately-owned developer, marketer and manufacturer of proprietary Stirling cycle power generation, compression and cooling products and technologies.
- Dr. Almgren served on Infinia’s Advisory Board 2003 – 2010.
International Battery, Allentown, Pennsylvania
International Battery was a developer and manufacturer of lithium ion batteries, pioneering in the United States large format prismatic cell as well as a water-based manufacturing process.
- Dr. Almgren was CEO of the company between March 2009 and September 2011.
Nuvonyx Inc. (www.nuvonyx.com), Bridgeton, Missouri
Nuvonyx is a privately held company that is focused on developing and manufacturing high-power lasers using diodes. These state-of-the-art lasers can be used in many applications such as heat treatment and welding as well as being a booster to larger laser systems.
- Dr. Almgren delivered consulting services primarily in the field of operational excellence. He was a member of the Board 2003 -2005, when the company was acquired by ICX Technologies. He then served on the advisory board until 2007, when Nuvonyx was acquired by Coherent.
PJM Interconnection LLC (www.pjm.com) , Norristown, Pennsylvania
PJM Interconnection is a regional transmission organization, plays a vital role in the U.S. electric power system. PJM ensures the reliability of the electric power system in 13 states and the District of Columbia. PJM operates an efficient, effective wholesale electricity market. PJM manages a long-term regional electric transmission planning process to maintain the reliability of the power supply system.
- Dr. Almgren served on the Board of Managers 2003 – 2021, from 2018 as the Chairman of the Board.